Todd Herman Associates is Celebrating Our 27th Anniversary! What Lessons Have We Learned Along the Way?
August 1, 2016 marked the 27th anniversary of Todd Herman Associates! As a numbers person by education (double majors in Accountancy and Mathematics) and career (Auditing, then Business Technology Consulting), my mind quickly found something interesting about 27 – it's 3x3x3, or three cubed. Hence, the title of this e-newsletter.
Continuing the August tradition of taking a quick look back over the past twelve months, here are some key lessons I've learned myself or shared with others:
- Maintain High Standards — Whether it's my staff or others, on client or internal projects, I want to see good work – and I've curbed my perfectionist tendencies by accepting "Good Enough."
- Keep Clients Happy – THA strives to practice "No Guessing, No Surprises, Tell the Truth." Know what your client (external or internal) wants, manage expectations, and 'fess up when mistakes happen.
- People Amaze Me! – Hiring is chancy – mistakes happen, yet diamonds in the rough can turn up ... and require nurturing. And sometimes, someone is SO in synch with me, it's scary!
- Make Mistakes Once – When a mistake happens, accept the consequences and learn your lesson – then implement ways to minimize its recurrence. If it happens again? You've only yourself to blame!
- Define Your SOPs – Once employees know their clearly defined goals and expectations – such as client hours each week – and realize they'll be held accountable, they will meet them more consistently.
- Model Desired Behaviors – If I want my staff to practice "Who Will Do What By When," then I must, too, including the "By When." (Yes, I always want everything NOW!)
- "Most Important Now" – Faced with multiple tasks, making a comprehensive list and finding the MIN task improves time usage – specially in a small company where ALL people wear multiple hats.
- Take Field Trips! – Some recent firm meetings ended with playing an "Escape Room" or touring "The Forge" – and the staff LOVED these outings! Adults need to nurture their "Inner Child."
- Always Be Thankful – Twenty-seven years of ups-and-downs, and changes large and small. Still, it's provided me a good life, interesting work, amazing clients – and lots of fun along the way!
What future THA anniversaries might have an interesting numeric relation? Stick around and find out.
Todd L. Herman